Deuteronomy 23:12-14


Hello all,

I went to a local SDA church in the capital of Ghana today and what I saw prompted me to write this letter to the leaders of the adventist church worldwide: 

A message for the leaders of the Worldwide  SDA Church


Dear Church leaders,

My name is Doreen Adwoa Agyapomaa, a seventh day Adventist with membership at Preston in Melbourne Australia. I traveled to Ghana just over a month ago to undertake some community development and health promotion activities. Since my arrival, I have been extremely dismayed at the poor sanitation and hygiene levels in the country. I write to enlist your help in spreading the news of personal, as well as corporate responsibility for ensuring that sanitation facilities are available at our places of worship. These places of sanitation should be as clean and well kept as the men, women and children of Ghana. I write to you because I just got back from visiting a church in Ashongman Estate in Accra, where the sanitation situation was so bad that I couldn’t sit quietly while messages of God and heaven were being preached. I voiced my objection at the condition of the sanitation facility to the church elders. The washroom was just the bare ground, enclosed by a brick wall with a strong smell of feces. There was no water to wash ones hands after using the facility. The worship grounds were also littered with plastic and all kinds of rubbish. To the credit of the elders, they apologized and indicated that they would do something about it.  They explained that where they worship is a school ground and does not belong to them. However, I do not think that this is a good enough excuse for ignoring the condition of a place designated for worshiping our Lord. I pray that you would be able to use your authority to encourage churches in Ghana to not just dress up their bodies on the Sabbath day, but dress up the entire environment where they will worship the Lord. A significant number of Ghanaians litter without reservation, so if our church educates our membership against this lawless practice, it would go a long way to improving the environment and health in Ghana.

Thank you for considering my petition.

Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Adwoa Agyapomaa

The one authority that ALL Ghanaians generally strive to obey is God, so I'll be incorporating deuteronomy 23:12-14 in all my workshops from now on. The lack of decent sanitation facilities in Ghana is not only due to poverty, but failure to prioritise such things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone Has A Story - This is Ours

Saying NO to Single-Use Plastic